Sunday, March 19, 2006

Ahh, the great "What to feed my husky" struggle

Anyone who has or has had a husky in their life knows what finicky eaters they can be. Well, when I started taking Tira to acupuncture, the acupuncturist (who is also a DVM) suggested that I start feeding the dogs fresh beef and/or liver 3 times a week. Well, they were VERY happy puppies! As a vegetarian I never cook beef, and let me tell you, the smell of sizzling beef had Amarok craning his neck into a position I had never previously seen!! The effect on Tira was also well worth it, as she is much perkier and more alert when she has had a meal with fresh beef.

The downside to the introduction of beef was that they all started turning their little noses up to the Fish and Potato food - just didn't compare I guess. So, after trying a few different foods, they have all agreed on the Beef and Barley kibble produced by Nature's Variety Prairie (http://www.naturesvariety.com/). Although it is very high in protein, we don't have any noses turning up at meal times, so I have just reduced the amount of food they receive. Unfortunately, Amarok is inclined to a rubenesque figure, so I may have to switch his food to a light or senior variety. Sadly Nature's Variety doesn't make such a formulation, so I may have to go back to the drawing board for him.

No comments: